This land office building was built in 1854 and was used by the first mayor of Osawatomie, H.B. Smith, and his brother who were the first land patent agents in the territory. It was deeded to the city in 1954 by A.Q. Youngberg as a memorial to his wife.
Formerly a Tourist Information Center in the summers, it was operated by the Osawatomie Historical Society.
Dedicated May 18, 1995, the Trail of Death plaque, a memorial to the Pottawatomie Indians, is on this site.