The City of Osawatomie is seeking a qualified artist to design and implement a large-scale mural in downtown Osawatomie as part of the Kansas Office of Rural Prosperity’s rural mural program. The City was awarded a grant totaling $15,000 to be used for the project.
Please contact us directly with any questions or comments you may have regarding the grant or the mural process.
Interested artists should send a brief portfolio and letter of interest to [email protected] with the subject line “Mural.” The City will be accepting applications until Sunday, October 3rd, 2021. Once all applicants have been reviewed, a committee will narrow down to the finalist(s), and the design process will begin.
Updated Information for Interested Applicants:
- Previous mural experience is required for the lead artist, but we are open to team applications or other partnership combinations
- With the grant award of $15,000, the City of Osawatomie will provide all reasonable supplies and tools necessary for the completion of the project including paint, brushes/rollers, scaffolding or lifts, etc. as well as the muralist fee
- General design and theme is up to the artist chosen, but the City and its committee must approve final design before implementation
- Design and theme should be complementary to the overall aesthetic of downtown Osawatomie and our regional history, landscape, and architecture
- Design should be visually appealing and welcoming to residents and visitors alike
- As stipulated by the grant, the mural should be completed in Fall 2021 or the project may be delayed until Spring 2022 at which time the City will submit a new “Call for Artist” notice if necessary